Search

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pumpkin Smoothie Recipe


There are few things about fall that I don’t love. However, there are a select few things about fall that make it the absolute best time of year in my opinion. In this particular case, I’m talking about pumpkin season.

I absolutely love everything pumpkin. I love the yummy desserts, I love watching them grow on the vine, I love carving them for Halloween and I love all the different varieties and colors.

I think the reason I love pumpkin treats so much is all the delicious spices that come along with it: Cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg…mmm my senses are tingling just thinking about them!

This morning as I was getting ready to come to work, I was wondering what I was going to have for breakfast. I usually like to eat a bowl of cereal, but since I was running late, I knew I didn’t have the time. One of my favorite quickie breakfasts is a banana smoothie, but alas: No bananas today.

So, I started thinking about what I had in the pantry. I immediately remembered the canned pumpkin and thought, well shoot! It’s pretty much fall already, and Sonic is already selling their pumpkin shakes, so why not have a pumpkin smoothie?

Omigosh, you guys. If I could take my favorite foods out on dates and try to impress them, I would take this pumpkin smoothie out to a 5 star restaurant and let it order whatever it wanted no matter the cost. It was SO GOOD! It kind of tasted like a frozen pumpkin pie. It’s no wonder, really, because the ingredients are pretty similar to pumpkin pie, sans crust of course.

If you are a die-hard pumpkin fan like me but you still want a little summer heat relief, I encourage you to try this pumpkin pie smoothie recipe. Feel free to make adjustments as your taste buds desire.

Pumpkin Smoothie

½ c. canned pumpkin
¼ c. vanilla cinnamon creamer (available in the dairy section with the coffee creamers)
1 c. ice
¼ - ½ c. milk (add less for a thicker consistency)
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Blend all ingredients in a blender (I like to use the personal size blender for convenience) and enjoy! For extra fluff and awesomeness, you can add some whipped topping to the top. Delicious!

No comments: